Friday, May 31, 2013

Continuing to Fund Your Retirement With Unexpected Bills/Expenses

I know the purpose of your Emergency Fund is for those unexpected bills. But what if you don't have enough money in it? Do you stop funding your retirement to pay those unexpected expenses?

I chose not to stop funding my Retirement after having surgery($1,000+) two months ago and buying a new AC unit recently ($3,400). Instead I called the hospital to work out a payment plan for twelve months that is more manageable. With the AC unit, I'm splitting the cost with my sister who resides with me. We will repay my credit card over the next 12 months. I had an offer on my current credit card for 0% interest.

I would recommend the following when you have unexpected bills:
  1. Continue to pay into your Emergency Fund
  2. Continue to pay into your Retirement Fund
  3. Check to see if you have an online offer with your current credit card (0% purchases, 0% transfers with low transaction fees (3% or less)). Otherwise, negotiate with your credit card company to see if they can reduce your interest rate, even if it is by 2%. 
  4. Negotiate your other bills as well (phone, car insurance, TV, hospital, etc).
  5. Put a little money a side for something fun. I'm taking my mom on a 7 day cruise in October 2013 and planning a trip to Madrid, Spain with my sister and friends in December 2013.

I would love to read your comments as to how you came to a decision to continue to fund your retirement and/or pay off those unexpected bills ASAP.

Rhonda W.

No comments:

Post a Comment